Thursday, January 4, 2007

One thing leads to another


When Mummy died last January, my stepfather gave me her good china. I sincerely love these dishes, but, like most people, have very few memories of it actually gracing our table; it was generally considered too good to be used more than once a year. And although I reject that mentality completely, I must also admit that I haven't used it in the last year, either.

Well, one thing leads to another. Yesterday we purchased a complete set of fine crystal glassware. Mario wanted it because he appreciates beauty and quality. I wanted it because it would give us something exceptional enough to be placed on the same table as the china.

China leads to stemware. And now I realize we actually need a china cabinet for these beautiful treasures. I look at our narrow dining room, and our massive dining room table, and think the two will never coexist in the same space. China leads to stemware leads to china cabinet leads to new diningroom table.

The acquisition of things seems to only ever lead to the acquisition of more things. What's wrong with this picture?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home