Friday, December 29, 2006

Beautiful Girl

Tonight I will tell you the story of a fairy princess, and all that came to pass.

Imagine a lovely, sexy, thirty year old blonde. Long hair. Long eyelashes. A raucous laugh that would make birds drop dead from the trees. My God can this girl laugh.

Imagine an outgoing, crazy, thoughtful, sweet, mischievous, innocent, hardworking, hardplaying angel. Do you see her yet? Is she as real to you as she is to me?

After almost three weeks in the hospital, weeks of desperation and false diagnoses, today this angel was finally told what was wrong with her. And this afternoon, her lower intestine was removed.

Removed.

Removed.

And, oh, how we cry for her. Our hearts don't break, they tear and bleed and scream and come apart in ugly ways. Our beautiful girl, damaged like this. She will be kept in a medically induced coma for the next two days, until her heroic, wonderful doctors can once more cut into her soft flesh with their cold instruments, finish that which they were forced to start.

I know about this surgery. Is it fate that brought me a client who represented an organization which provides support to people in this very situation? Is it fate? I calmly explain to my love, and then to the princess's father, what help is available to her. I explain how life altering and intensely personal this naked operation is. I explain that she can still have a full, normal, funny, sexy, sexual, delicious life.

But she is in a coma. I can't explain this to her.

And if she were awake, she still wouldn't hear me.

My heart is finally broken.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Fowler said...

oh jenn ~ what happened??

December 30, 2006 at 12:03:00 a.m. AST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home