Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas Cards

Man, I wish I was organized enough to be a card-sender. Every year, right around the 20th of December (go figure) I start wishing that I too had sent out cards, complete with family photos, so my friends would know I am thinking of them.

Maybe it's because I never reciprocae with cards of my own, but I have noticed we received far fewer holiday cards this year than we have in the past. Is this a trend, of is it a simple result of my own personal laziness?

Regardless, I love them all....I get a huge kick out of receiving holiday cards from the people in my office, for example. I mean, I see them every day, they could just SAY the words, but they go to the additional effort of putting it on paper. I love that.

I only received three cards with photos this year. The first was from my friends Kelly & Sylvain, the photo shows them with their two kids. Kelly is massively pregnant, and although you can't see her belly in their picture, there are subtle changes to the contours of her beautiful face that weren't there when I saw her in person six weeks ago. So gorgeous to have photgraphic evidence of that softened yet more powerful look pregrant women get to their faces. Her eyes are wide open, sparkling, and excited.

The second photos came from Mario's daughter Ana, all pictures of her two little girls. Had a great deal of fun poring over how quickly these two beautiful children are changing....I myself haven't seen them in person in three years, the last time I saw them they were little monkeys who wanted to ride on my back, tell me childish secrets, and inexplicably call me "Miss Moo". Now in these holiday photos I see them lengthening, see their young faces maturing, see young ladies emerging. Impossible.

Hands down, though, my favourite holiday shots arrived in the mail today. My BFF Kelly sent three pictures, two of her gorgeous family taken in a field during a professional shoot this summer, and one casual picture of her, laughing. I snatched up and devoured that particular picture with my eyes; Kelly and I haven't seen each other in person in almost five years, despite many plans to do so. I love love LOVE the pictures of her with her husband and two children, but I was insinctively drawn to that laugh. I have seen it many times before, and I look forward to seeing it again. And while I held it between my two hands, I could easily imagine that the mirth on her face was once more caused by something I said. My God I miss that girl.

It's too late for me to get in to the Christmas swing-of-things. Maybe I'll send out January Cards instead....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home