Sunday, December 24, 2006

Early Morning

So here it is, 5:30 am on Christmas Eve. I've been up for about an hour, awake for about an hour and a half. This is pretty much par for the course for me; although I don't "feel" excited about Christmas, I know that's what woke me up today. I further know that I will be exhausted by 7pm, but what are you gonna do.

I do have a few last things to do today, thankfully very few of them involve shopping. I need to pick up Brian's room, not because he has made a mess of it but because I have. I store all of my craft things in his closet and they have a tendency not to get put away when I can simply dump them in his room and close the door. And then when he gets here, and has to gingerly step over piles of my crap to get in to bed, he'll say, "Mummy, are you EVER going to clean my room???"

Well, this morning I AM. I'll put all of my toys away so that he can actually get to his. (In my own defense, some of the scrapbook stuff strewn about is his...!)

I also need to tidy up the public areas of the house and give the bathroom a lick and a promise. (For those of you unfamiliar with this old fashioned expression, it means I'm going to do a half-assed cosmetic job of cleaning the bathroom. No actual licking will occur.)

Need to get myself together and hit church for eleven a.m. Haven't actually made it to a service in a while (cough) but today off I go, not because it is Christmas, but because both my mother and my sister will be giving the readings. They were recently confirmed in to the United Church, and our minister likes to include the newbies in the big celebrations that way. Love that.

After church, sadly, there WILL be a tiny bit of last minute shopping. Last night I realized that I had forgotten to get anything for Mario's stocking....For the first time in our family, the grown ups exchanged names, prior to this it has always been a gift giving frenzy. In any event, I ended up drawing Mario's name for his stocking. Knowing I was "forbidden" to purchase him an actual Christmas gift, I have been diligent about not buying anything for him, so thank goodness I rememebered last night that I AM suppposed to buy him a few little things!

After all these things are taken care of, I can sit back and actually enjoy the holiday. Mario and I will be going over to Mum's tonight to spend the evening, and my son will arrive there around 10 pm for his holidays with me. Can't wait, it's those moments that really make it a holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home