Sunday, January 14, 2007

Ramble

1. Am in a not-so stellar mood right now, kind of leaning towards the bitchy side. No real reason for this.

2. Had both my son and my step-father here this weekend. Awesome. Last night we all worked together, cracking open a million left-over mixed nuts from Christmas, which I then threw in to my crock pot with a bit of butter, some assorted free flowing spice, and cooked for three hours. Divine.

3. If Bill Clinton re-entered political life, I would move to the States for the privilege of voting for him. Last summer we found out (at the last minute) that he would be speaking a mere three hours from here, and there were still a few tickets available. We seriously considered changing our vacation plans so we could go hear him....and we didn't even know what he would be speaking about.

4. Currently 10 pm in my little corner of the world, and Mario has to be in to work around 4:30 am tomorrow to prepare for a radio broadcast / publicity thing in our lobby at 5:30. I am going to start gently suggesting he go to bed....guarantee that within the half hour I will be a shrill harpy.

5. Watched "An Inconvenient Truth" this afternoon with Brian. What a movie, I was blown away. And am now scared shitless.

6. Started reading yet another gardening book today. It's like a sickness, this obsession I have with all things plant related. The ironic part is that I am a terrible gardener who kills 90%of everything I touch. But a girl can still dream.

7. I tend to keep my fingernails quite long, but every now and again I go through this stage where they all seem to break, which is currently the case. All of my fingernails are now the same length as my fingers, except my left pinky which is still in its cocaine-spoon glory. No, I've never tried cocaine, I just find the nail hilarious. I know I should cut it to match the rest, but it cracks me up.

8. We are behind on the laundry, and I am lazy as hell. Today, rather than wash my nylons, I bought more. Anything to put it off for another day or two.

9. My mind is a bizarre labyrinth. Today I got thinking about the book, "The Long Winter", by Laura Ingalls Wilder. (my favourite Laura book, by the way.) I asked myself what I would do if I could travel back in time and take the family something to help get them through that terrible winter, but was limited to what I could reasonably carry on my person. A case of canned tuna for the protein? Several bottles of One-A-Day, or even Flintstones Chewables, to help with the scurvy? Gore-tex?

10. YOU listen to these bizarre thoughts so that Mario doesn't have to. He thanks you.

11. Last ramble for tonight, but #10 reminded me of a conversation I had with Mario a few months ago. I was looking at my hand (not the nails, ha ha) and I said, "Why are there five fingers? Where did that number come from, why not four or six? And even if there is a reason to have five fingers, why do we have five toes? I see how having an opposable thumb comes in handy, but if I have an opposable big toe, I don't want to know about it.

"And for that matter, why are our feet so small compared to the rest of our bodies? If you were going to build a machine shaped like a person, you would never try to balance it on something so small. Why aren't our feet BIGGER?"

"How come, besides fingers and toes, everything in our bodies comes in ones or twos? One mouth, two ears, one pancreas, two ovaries, one liver, two lungs. How come? And how come, for everything we have two of -- eyes, lungs, kidneys, testicles-- we can get by with just one?

"And did you ever notice that the things we only have one of seem to follow a straight line down the middle of our bodies, for the most part? One brain, one nose (but two nostrils!), one mouth, one heart, one stomach, one uterus...."

At this point Mario just couldn't take it anymore. "Oh, come on, what do you want, TWO uteruses?? You couldn't even MOVE if you were pregnant with two uteruses pointing in two different directions!!"

So I said, "Well, if I had the big feet I could!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home