Thursday, November 23, 2006

Christmas lights

Tonight at 5 pm, I drove home in the dark....guess I better to get used to that.

I love Canadian winters, truly I do. I love the "time stands still" flavour of frozen, silent winter days. I love the quiet beauty of a gentle snowfall. And I particulary love a violent storm on a day when I know we don't have to leave the house. Can there be anything better than looking out at a blizzard and truly appreciating the solid warmth and comfort we all take for granted?

And, oh, the Christmas lights. Because it is still November, there aren't many illuminated houses yet, but I also know there will be more each day. Silky multicoloured lights in a sea of frozen black.

My heart swells, and my eyes well, with each twinkly home. Because the homeowners reap no benefit from bedecking their homes; they come home and the decorative lights are off. Then they go inside, where they can not possibly enjoy them, and turn the lights on.

Christmas lights aren't about making yourself happy, they're about making other people happy. Each day of this season, my heart is filled to overflowing by people I will never meet, who only want to make me happy.

I'm glad I am one of them, and I'm glad my home sparkles in the dark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home