Friday, December 1, 2006

Poet

In all my life, I have never heard a voice that moves me the way Stan Rogers does.

In the world of Canadian music, (I was going to say "in the world of Canadian folk music", but his reach is far greater) few --if any-- have been so influential and yet so little known. When I mention his name, I usually get blank stares. But if I hum a few bars of one of his songs, the usual response is, "Oh, I know that song! I love that song!"

I was first exposed to Stan's music as a small child, undoubtedly because he had married my Mummy's best friend Ariel, and so Mummy played his records regularly. I have vague memories of us being on vacation at my Aunt Geri's home in Ontario, and Ariel bringing her whole tribe to Grimsby so she could see my mother. I remember all us kids playing in the front yard on a hot, dry day, and Stan coming around the corner of the house to tell us to settle down and stop our yelling.

My one and only brush with this Canadian legend, and he was bawling us out. Good times.

In 1983, when I was 12, Stan was headed home from the Kerrville Folk Festival in Texas. A fire started in the restroom on Air Canada flight 797, which was then forced to land in Cincinatti. At the age of 33, he was one of 23 people who died of smoke inhalation. So now you know why airlines always stress the fact that you can't smoke in the bathroom. (truly, that accident is where that came from.)

From Wikipedia: "Although firm evidence is lacking, it has been reported that Rogers would probably have survived had he not engaged himself in seeing others safely off the airplane. Smoke had completely filled the cabin and Rogers stood by the exit, shouting "follow my voice". He was overcome by toxic fumes from foam in the seat cushions burning."



I then remember being 15 and at my mother's house, when my awakening to his music occurred. Mummy had one of his albums on the turntable (I wish I remember which one...) and I suddenly stopped and listened. It was no longer background music; I was hearing sounds and tones and stories and heartbreak and passion like I had never heard before. And finally, I remember my mother calling Ariel the next day, as I sat transfixed on the floor in front of the speakers, and saying, "You won't believe what Jennifer is doing...."

The following lyrics are from his song, "Northwest Passage". This song has widely been called "Canada's Second National Anthem". This song is a miracle.

And it's not even my favourite.

And although the lyrics are not "reproduced with permission", they are reproduced with respect and love. Go to www.stanrogers.net to hear this song and learn more about one of our national treasures.



Chorus: Ah, for just one time I would take the Northwest Passage
To find the hand of Franklin reaching for the Beaufort Sea;
Tracing one warm line through a land so wild and savage
And make a Northwest Passage to the sea.

Westward from the Davis Strait 'tis there 'twas said to lie
The sea route to the Orient for which so many died;
Seeking gold and glory, leaving weathered, broken bones
And a long-forgotten lonely cairn of stones.

(chorus)

Three centuries thereafter, I take passage overland
In the footsteps of brave Kelso, where his "sea of flowers" began
Watching cities rise before me, then behind me sink again
This tardiest explorer, driving hard across the plain.


(chorus)

And through the night, behind the wheel, the mileage clicking west
I think upon Mackenzie, David Thompson and the rest
Who cracked the mountain ramparts and did show a path for me
To race the roaring Fraser to the sea.

(chorus)

How then am I so different from the first men through this way?
Like them, I left a settled life, I threw it all away.
To seek a Northwest Passage at the call of many men
To find there but the road back home again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Fowler said...

OH

MA

GOD

i LOOOOOVE stan rogers. but you will laugh when i tell you that i only have one album of his...and it's not even an album. it's a ratchety old tape (ya know, when people used to make tapes for eachother) from a record (so you hear the crackling/popping in between songs) that has barrett's privateers on it and a couple of other total heartbreakers that i could sing but cannot tell you the names of.

now i totally need to go over to the site and check it out. I LOVE HIS STUFF!!!

December 2, 2006 at 2:55:00 a.m. AST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home