Friday, December 1, 2006

More Stan

Literally just received a phone call about the Stan Rogers post I made a half hour ago, asking what my Favourite Stan Rogers songs are. My six all-time-how-could-I-choose-between-them-how-could-I-live-without-them favourites are:

The Bluenose
First Christmas
45 Years
The Jeannie C
Northwest Passage
Barrett's Privateers

Inexplicably, there is no sample of Bluenose or Barrett's on the website, but all the others are there, FAR too briefly. The duration on these clips doesn't allow you the luxury of getting in to the story of the song....and my God, could this man tell a story.

I can't narrow it down to one, but if I had to pick TWO Stan songs I couldn't live without, they would be First Christmas and 45 years. First Christmas just breaks my heart with its naked look at the holidays.... And then there's 45 Years.

When Stan was courting Ariel, he fell deeply in love. He asked her to marry him, and she said no because she had been down that path before and it hadn't worked out. He went home, wrote 45 Years in one sitting, went back and sang for her the next day, and she said yes. The imagery in this song (not captured in the website sample) haunts me to this day. To his dying day, my father could not hear this song without weeping. And this is my FATHER we're talking about.

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/s/stanrogerslyrics/yearslyrics.html



Go. Explore Stan. He will change your life.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Fowler said...

that's a freaking brilliant story. scrap it!

December 2, 2006 at 2:58:00 a.m. AST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say... you're crazy. But I already knew that, and I suppose you did as well. ;p

December 6, 2006 at 5:23:00 p.m. AST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home