Friday, July 20, 2007

The Last One

In less than six hours, I will have a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in my hands.

I am excited beyond all reason, looking forward to the Harry Potter Party at our local book store tonight, which will culminate with the precious volume being distributed to greedy, needy, questing hands at 12:01 am. But I am also very melancholy....how can all those years of speculation, enjoyment, and heated discussions be coming to an end?

Yes, I am a Harry fanatic. So is my son, my mother, my sister, my friends Watermelon and Tasse, my ex-husband, my late father. Harry Potter has been huge in all of our lives and tonight will be the end of that part of our relationship, the night when All Will Be Revealed to us. Well, except for Daddy. (Ok, Dead Guy joke not really appropriate. Sorry.)

I am not going to get in to my assorted wild theories about what the book will reveal, but I do want to share the one I am most passionate about, and believe in the most strongly:

Snape is a hero. He is 100% on "our" side, and has been since his stint with the Death Eaters when he became loyal to Dumbledore. And the way he ultimately proved his loyalty was the night he killed DUmbledore. Dumbledore had theorized -- or perhaps Trelawney had prophecized?? -- that Dumbledore would end up in the type of situation he did. He looked to Snape to promise to kill him if and when the time came. Which is why Snape hesitated. And why Dumbledore pleaded with him. Dumbledore wasn't pleading for his life, he was pleading for his own death.

Why did he have to die? Not sure, but we have been told upteen million times that Dumbledore is the only wizard Voldemort considered his equal, the only wizard he feared. So maybe by checking out, Dumbledore was trying to make Voldemort smug and a little relaxed, trying to give Harry the very slight edge he needs.

Who will be the two main characters who die in the book? I have no idea, though I liked RockStarMommy's reasoning that one will probably be a Weasley, simply because there are so MANY of them.

Regardless, in a few hours, I will finally have all the answers in my hands. And although I am a very, very fast reader, I am going to force myself to read slowly, to fully imagine every sentence before I read the next. After all, I will never have another Harry Potter book again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going ot have to force myself not to read the last page of the book, as I have done with every single book I've read since I was in grade 6....

Ohhh the AGONY!

July 20, 2007 at 6:53:00 p.m. AST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home