Thursday, June 21, 2007

We Stand on Guard for Thee

Sometimes, I stumble across clients who I absolutely adore. Actually, that happens on a pretty regular basis, which is why I love my job so much. I make a connection with an individual and magic happens from there. That is not the case tonight.

Tonight, we are holding a Regimental Ball for our local military base. And I can not tell you that, in the planning, I met a person who touched my heart and sense of humour. But I can tell you I met MANY. Tonight, for me emotionally, is literally the pinnacle of everything I have ever done in catering. The Rolling Stones were fun, sure, but this is an honour.

I have been passionate about this event since its very inception eight months ago. I mean, seriously, a Regimental Ball? Pageantry? Dress uniforms? Holy Christ, sign me up. Just on the surface alone you gotta know I was keen.

But then in the planning, I met the most amazing, fascinating people. Probably the nicest people I have ever dealt with. And now that the event is finally here I must confess I am a little sad that I will no longer receive phone calls and visits from them at random moments. They probably think that the reason I keep mentioning that we should make this an annual event is so I can take more of their money. The truth is that I just want to keep them around. Specifically, without mentioning their last names or rank-- they may wish to stay anonymous-- I want to keep J.P., Frank, and Hobson (dude, you never told me your first name!) around.

I remember one of the first meetings I had with my primary contact, a great and funny guy who knows a lot about food (so instantly, hey, you know I'm gonna love him!). I forget how it came up, but I do know I spontaneously said, "Thank you for what you do."

Thank you for taking care of me. Thank you for taking care of people in other nations, who are in a bad situation and just need some help. Thank you for having more courage than I. I am humbled by you.

Now I'm going to explain the title of this post.

Mario and I went to a hockey game this past winter, and it was Military Appreciation Night. All of the families who serve in our city were invited for free, and "O Canada" was performed by a military band and a, umm, military singer (there's probably an official title, but I don't know it, sorry.) Now, O Canada turns me into a blubbering idiot under the best of circumstances. But to look down on the ice, and see our serving men and women, and hear the words, "We stand on guard for thee".... It was just a stupid hockey game but it ended up being one of the most moving experiences in my life.

They DO stand on guard for thee. Nothing bad will happen to you, because they are vigilant and won't let it happen. And if you just need a hand up, they will offer it. And the places you're afraid to go? They're afraid to go, too,but they go anyway. I love these men and women.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home