Thursday, July 12, 2007

Postage

Ok, I admit it, I am a bit of a stamp junkie. I know that this passion derives from the fact that I actually do use snail mail on a regular basis to communicate with my best friend. Ok, ok, Kelz and I email daily, but waaaaaay back in the day, we didn't have this luxury. I was in Canada, she was in the United Arab Emirates (or is that ERAB, Kelz?) but we had good old Canada Post to keep us connected. Yes, it meant a two week delay in our conversations, but our conversations are often intensely personal and emotional....a time delay is not necessarily a bad thing, people.

And while we do email daily (ok...several times a day), there is nothing like a Letter. She is much better at this than I am, but (as she will soon learn, when she gets back from vacation and receivs a rather large box), it's not because I have stopped writing, it's because I stopped sending.

But I am determined to turn over a new leaf, or re-examine an old leaf. I will be a letter writer again. Which brings me to the stamps.

I was standing in line at the post office, trying to send her said box. And then I saw Gordon Lightfoot looking down at me. Ex-squeeze me? Yes, a series of stamps acknowledging Canada's musical imprint on the world. Gordon Lightfoot...Joni Bloody Mitchell...and, umm, Paul Anka? well ok, I get it, I listened to the music of the 50's and 70's, Paul Anka can stay, it's all good. But the fourth person immortalized was ANNE MURRAY? Is there anyone in the WORLD who is not over Anne Murray?

Why couldn't it have been Burton Cummings?After all, in 1970, the Guess Who's album sales, worldwide, topped more than every other Canadian artist combined. Why couldn't it have been Bryan Adams, who has also gone on to become such an accomplished photographer that when the Queen celebrated 50 years on the throne, HE was chosen to be Canada's official photographer in an intimate portrait session with Her Majesty? And, God help us ALL, why couldn't it be Celine Dion, who I once adored (way back before she even learned English) but later became such a shrill, melodramatic harpy? ANYTHING other than Anne Murray, who publicly turned her back on Canada by refusing to come to the Juno Awards because "they weren't important enough."

The Anne Murray stamp will never see the light of day, I assure you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home