Saturday, February 3, 2007

Bloody snow


Yes, I am the girl who stated emphatically that I love Canadian winters. And I still do.

But I had forgotten shovelling.

Between the ages of 26 and 31, I considered snow shovelling an activity I enjoyed. I would leave my husband Ken inside our house with baby Brian, and revel in a quiet hour to myself. There was silence, there was peace, there was refreshing and stimulating physical activity, there were the stunning Canadian Rockies always visible from the corner of my eye. And when I came back in, there was tea waiting for me.

Hmmph.

VERY different from today, when I realized that, because Mario was at work, someone needed to deal with our driveway, and I was the only person available. Okay, no big deal, I like this.

Here's a geographical fact you may not hear of any place else: Snow in Rockies= light, fluffy, and delightful. Snow in New Brunswick = wet, heavy, and nasty.

I spent the better part of this Saturday afternoon thinking, "Hey, today might actually be the day I have a heart attack in the drive way and no one finds me for six hours!"

Stupid, stupid snow.

That being said, after a winter of penguin-killing weather, it is encouraging to see Mother Nature finally show us her frozen glory. The number of days we have experienced this winter where the temperature actually dipped below freezing have been few and far between, and I thank God that the planet is still fighting back. Global warming is not the most important problem of our age, it is the ONLY problem of our age.

Guess I love that snow after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home